Monday, September 7, 2015

My vision is blurred. My breath slowly wanes away as I feel my fingers halt in their final resting position. “Mom…MOMMA!” my daughter shouts. Her smooth skin presses against my soft, withered cheek. A warm, salty liquid seeps into my mouth as she sobs against me.
Why is she sad?
The love of my life was born many moons ago on a sweltering summers night. The fleece from my baby girl’s blanket sticks to my sodden skin as I hold her for the first time. Her cheeks flush as she lets out a lethargic yawn. I giggle and place my finger in her delicate palms. She tightly grips my finger, her brow furrows, and at that moment her eyelids pop open and I really see her for the first time. In her sable brown eyes, I see my love. My soul evaporates into hers and we are one. With one glance, she has healed my deepest of wounds and rid me of my long held insecurities. I have lived through hell and at this moment heaven is in my arms.
So, baby girl why are you sad?  

Don’t be sad by the life I am leaving; rejoice because you gave me a life to live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment